Below are questions we asked a number of British and Polish people who work for the media. Click on a picture to find the answers.
- It is believed that the role of the media is to inform, to entertain and to educate. Which of the three functions do you see as the most important one? Do you think that the media fulfil their role?
- Lord John Reith, the first Director General of the BBC, believed that the public service broadcasting should be dedicated to maintaining the highest standards and has a key role to play in shaping public taste. Do you agree? Should the media give people what they want or should they give them what the media think people need?
- Is it possible for the media to be fully objective and un-biased? Are journalists entitled to present their own personal views?
- How do you think the Polish/British media compare with foreign ones?
- What’s your view on censorship? Should the freedom of speech have any limits?
- Which medium do you value most highly: the television, the radio, the press or the internet? Why? Do you have a favourite TV channel (programme), radio station, newspaper or magazine? If so, give reasons for your preference.