British Studies Web PagesScience
Complete the following table
Complete the following table. The first one has been done for you as an example.
Use words from the above table in exercise 1 to complete the following sentences:
1. Earth is one of the .............. in the ....... System.
2. The .............. is 96,000,000 miles away from the earth.
3. .............. is the name we give to the study of the stars.
4. There is a famous .............. telescope at Jodrell Bank in England.
5. Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the ……........
6. There may be life on other planets in the …………
Divide the following words into 3 groups and give each group a name. You may need to
use a dictionary.
ray rectangle viaduct energy plus cylinder pyramid minus foundation dam laser subtract multiplication magnet reflection tunnel
You will often come across the old system of measurements used in Britain, the United
states and other English-speaking countries. Divide the following according to what they
measure and arrange them in order, from smallest to largest.
inch ounce gallon foot yard
stone ton mile pound pint
Choose the most suitable word or phrase underlined in each sentence.
a) This is a small car, but it has a powerful engine/machine.
b) Do you use an electric/electrical toothbrush?
c) I can't see anything. Where's the light plug/switch?
d) You can't use the lift. It's out of order/work.
e) If you don't press this button, the washing machine won't go/move.
f) Use this torch. The other one doesn't act/work.
g) The lights have gone out. It must be a power break/cut.
h) Who exactly discovered/invented the computer?
|Produced in Poland by British Council © 2004. The United Kingdom's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. We are registered in England as a charity.|